Here’s a handy “check list” to help you focus your precious time on key communications strategies. Special thanks to Michael Levine, (Flywheel Communications) and fellow “Tune Up Your Communications Strategy” panelists Liz Schlegel (Central VT Community Action Council), , and Drew Hudson ( We Also Herd Cats) for their contribution to this list!
Strategic Communications results in:
- Knowing your communication goals
- Identifying your audience(s)
- Delivering a clear and consistent message
- Clarifying who represents the organization to the media
- Analyzing your existing outreach efforts
- Having an “opportunity-ready” organization
Are you opportunity ready?
- If asked to describe your organization’s work, would everyone on your staff and board give a similar 2 or 3 sentence answer?
- Do you have a one-page, easy-to-read overview of your organization’s work, impact, mission, etc.?
- Does your web home page contain a similar clear statement about your overall work?
- Do you have a logo? Is it used consistently? Does it lend itself to multiple sizes? How does it reproduce in black and white?
- Do you have programs or events that are intended for specific audiences? Does your planning identify how to reach them?
- Are you documenting programs to share them with potential funders or participants?
- What techniques are you using to document these programs? Data? Surveys? Stories? Pictures?
- Is it clear who should speak for your organization when contacted by media?
- Do you have a crisis communications plan?
Watch Video of 5/27 Event in Montpelier on Strategic Communications http://blog.commongoodvt.org/2010/06/watch-now-tune-up-your-communications-strategy/
What else can be included here?