Toolkit: Flood Damage Assistance

Vermont continues recovery efforts following the storm that hit the state Sunday and Monday, August 27-August 28. The situation is constantly changing. Here are some helpful resources and sources for up-to-date information:


Thanks to all of our visitors for submitting information to this list!

•    Text FOODNOW to 52000 to donate $10 to Vermont Foodbank. The Foodbank will turn each donation into $60 for families in need.
•    You can also donate to the American Red Cross of Vermont and the New Hampshire Valley. The Red Cross set up shelters immediately after Irene hit for flooded-out families to stay in.
•    The VT Irene Flood Relief Fund is raising money to help people and communities affected by flooding. 100% of all donations will be distributed to businesses and families. The fund was set up by Todd Bailey (the former director of Vermont League of Conservation Voters) and is being administered through the Vermont State Employees Credit Union.
VERMONT DISASTER RELIEF FUND If you would like to help Vermonters impacted by the devastation of Irene, please make a donation to the statewide Vermont Disaster Relief Fund by dropping off a check made out to the fund at any local United Way office Getting them back up and running must be a top priority in our recovery efforts – particularly with the critical fall and winter tourism seasons on the horizon.
More Info http:
•    Vermont Baseball Tours has set up the 8/28 Fund to raise money. Donations of $20 or more get you a cool t-shirt.
•    The MRV Community Fund has been reestablished to help Mad River Valley farmers who saw devastating crop losses due to the flooding.

• is working to connect volunteers ready to help with those that need assistance. If you want to help clean up and rebuild, let the folks behind this site know.
•    Montpelier Alive is coordinating volunteer efforts in that city through their Facebook page.
•    Volunteer and cleanup efforts are also being coordinated on Twitter via the #VTresponse hashtag.
•    The Vermont Flooding 2011 page on Facebook is functioning as a community bulletin board of sorts.
•    Vermont Helping Hands is also coordinating relief efforts via Facebook.
•    The Help Vermont Facebook group is another place to share recovery information.
•   The Red Cross is in need of blood donations. Stop by their donation center at 32 North Prospect Street in Burlington, or the Alice Peck Day Memorial Hospital Blood Donation Center at 125 Mascoma Street in Lebanon, NH.
NEK Habitat for Humanity is to suspend regular projects and go to work on disaster releif, especially:in housing or housing cleanup;in Caledonia, Orleans and Essex counties (or nearby); We have a volunteer coordinator and a mailing list of 30-40 potential volunteers. The Volunteer Coordinator is Karen Lawson; 626-8370, or email to

And to Becky Raymond of Green Mountain United Way, who reminds us to use their excellent community “help line” 2-1-1 to get information by phone and to encourage affected residents and businesses to report damage.

For *Road Closures* or Travel Information:

Current *Red Cross shelters* open in Vermont:

For more information about the *hurricane disaster declaration* in Vermont (expect this information to change in the coming days / weeks):

To apply for assistance from *FEMA *(PLEASE NOTE: there was *not *been a declaration for individual or public assistance for this disaster as of today):

*Vermont Emergency Management*:

Check out Becky’s blog for updates here:

How you can help:

Town Updates:

Northfield: Waitsfield:


Disaster Relief Funds

Assistance for Nonprofits – Special and Urgent Needs (SUN) –
The Special and Urgent Needs (SUN) – Irene Recovery grant round was created to address the short-term needs of nonprofits directly impacted by Hurricane Irene. Please note that this grant round is open to nonprofits that sustained damage from Hurricane Irene as well as nonprofits facing significant resource challenges in providing services for those affected by Hurricane Irene.
Visit for more information

Assistance for Farmers
If you are in need of provisions or assistance, please contact your local responders, such as your local fire or police departments. They will assess the situation and direct you to necessary resources as well as connect farms in need of power with a working generator.

If there is damage to your house(s) or other dwelling in which you live, that report should be made by calling 211 and completing a damage assessment report with the operator. The operator will then forward this information to VEM. Natural Resources Conservation Services also has the Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP) that can help protect property that is in threat of further damage if not immediately repaired. Call 802-951-6796 for information.

If there is damage to any part of your property or business, including but not limited to barns, milking parlors, crops, fields, equipment, etc., this information should be reported to your county USDA Farm  Service Agency or your county Natural Resources Conservation Services office; you can also contact  organizations to which you belong such as the Vermont Farm Bureau at 802-434-5646 or NOFA Vermont  802-434-4122. These organizations should send a summary of the information to the Agency of  Agriculture which will then forward to VEM. Farmers experiencing loss of crops due to flooding should  contact their crop insurance agent immediately as well as USDA Farm Service Agency. Farmers are encouraged to keep in touch with USDA Farm Service Agency at 802-658-2803and Natural Resources Conservation Service at 802-951-6796.

If there is damage to your crops or land, call the Farm Service Agency in Williston at 1-800-910-2035 ext 102 for Larry or ext 106 for Eileen.  Farmers in Orange County should call the White River Farm Service Agency Office at 1-800-789-6713 ext 13 for Chris and ext 10 for Eric.

The Farm Service Agency, runs the Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) which Addresses crop loss and damage to conservation practices such as fencing, ditches, Culverts, debris removal from fields.  Their office covers, Chittenden Cty, Washington Cty And the towns of Orange, Washington and Williamstown in Orange County.

Please note that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers crops where the edible portion has come in contact with flood waters to be adulterated and not to be sold for human consumption. See: and   As painful as it may be to do, all crops with edible portions that have come in contact with flood waters should be destroyed or discarded.  For more info please call Ginger Nickerson at 1-802-656-5490. Ginger is the outreach coordinator state wide for the GAP Program.

To Support Farmers affected by Irene,

The Vermont Agency of Agriculture has partnered with the Vermont Community Foundation to create the Vermont Farm Disaster Relief Fund, which will assist Vermont farms that sustained damage from Tropical Storm Irene.

The relief fund will pool contributions from donors and will make grants directly to farmers affected by the storm.

“Following Tropical Storm Irene, the Agency of Agriculture received calls from many farmers seeking guidance about lost land, lost crops, and lost livestock, as well as calls from Vermonters interested in supporting farmers,” said Chuck Ross, Secretary of the Vermont Agency of Agriculture. “Until now, there was no designated fund to which we could direct callers. The Farm Disaster Relief Fund creates a vehicle where we can connect the resources of concerned donors to the needs of affected farmers who have suffered damages from tropical storm Irene.”

More info: Visit or call 802-388-3355 for more information.

VT Farm Women’s Fund – Offeres Flood recovery Grants to Women Farmers
Flood recovery funds are available through the Vermont Farm Women’s Fund (VFWF) to help women farmers whose agricultural enterprises were impacted by Tropical Storm Irene or the severe storms in May. Awards of up to $750 will be granted. Applications are due Nov. 8.
More Info

NOFA-VT Farmer Emergency Fund
The auction will run from October 1, 2011 to October 15, 2011, with proceeds going to the Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont’s Farmer Emergency Fund. Auction items reflect the creative localvore spirit of our community, from delicious treats to amazing experiences. Let the bidding begin!
More Info

Vermont Disaster Relief Fund
If you would like to help Vermonters impacted by the devastation of Irene, please make a donation to the statewide Vermont Disaster Relief Fund by dropping off a check made out to the fund at any local United Way office. For more information on the Vermont Disaster Relief Fund, or to donate online, go to

Assistance for Businesses
If you are a business looking to report damage to your business or would like to speak to someone about additional resources available, please call 828-3211. The ACCD has set up a system to document damage to businesses and properties (both for and non-profit businesses, including multi-family housing providers and services) in order to assist FEMA in their collection of information.

Assistance for Communities
Communities also need to report damages and that information goes to the Vermont Emergency Management. The link to their site for communities to input information is at and filling out the survey on the site. The Regional Planning Commissions are also helping with emergency management for towns in their region. For contact information for an RPC in your town, go to

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) administers the Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) program, which responds to emergencies created by natural disasters. It is not necessary for a national emergency to be declared for an area to be eligible for assistance.  EWP Program is a recovery effort aimed at relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms, and other natural occurrences. All projects undertaken, with the exception of the purchase of floodplain easements, must have a project sponsor. NRCS may bear up to 75 percent of the construction cost of emergency measures. The remaining cost must come from local sources and can be in the form of cash or in-kinds services. Funding for the program is provided through congressional appropriations.  More information can be found here
Districts are also available to help if needed and can assist with assessing damages, organizing stream and debris cleanups, etc.  Please let us know if you need assistance.

Historic Properties
The Preservation Trust offers matching grants up to $500 for Emergency Conditions and Engineering Assessments for non-profit, municipally-owned and commercial historic buildings throughout the state. These grants are made possible in part by the National Trust for Historic Preservation through the Daniel K. Thorne Intervention Fund.  If you would like to apply, please contact Paul Bruhn at 802-658-6647 or

Arts & Crafts
Any professional crafts people who have flood damage should contact the Craft Emergency Relief Fund (CERF) to find out about the finding it can provide. (802) 229-2306

Home Share Now is facilitating short-term and long-term home sharing matches for people displaced by Irene. If the flood has left you homeless, or you have room in your home to share during this time of crisis, please call 802-479-8544. Learn more about home sharing at

Facebook Flood Updates (fan pages / groups):

On Twitter: #vtresponse, #vtirene, #vtrecovery – live tweets (click on “Irene in Vermont”)

Volunteer Opportunities:

#vtresponse Twitter Tag and Website
Helping Vermonters help Vermonters!/search/%23vtresponse

Vermont State Government Twitter Feed!/vermontgov

Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin Facebook Page


Vermont 2-1-1.
Vermont 2-1-1 is a simple number to dial for information about health and human service organizations in your community.

  1. Simply dial 2-1-1 – a local call from anywhere in Vermont
  2. 1-866-652-4636 – toll free in Vermont

Vermont 5-1-1 Travel Information Services
5-1-1 is an updated 1-800-ICY-ROAD service to help commuters and travelers access information regarding weather-related road conditions, construction and congestion, via the web or phone – 24/7.


Call 800-621-FEMA (3362). Multilingual registration assistance is also available. Those with a speech disability or hearing loss who use a TTY can call 800-462-7585 directly, or 800-621-3362, if using 711 or Video Relay Service. Registration can also be done online anytime at or through web-enabled mobile phone devices or smartphones at

FEMA 3 – Step Process to Disaster Assitance

1. Before You Apply
2. Apply for Assistance
3. After Your Apply

Visit –

Vermont Red Cross Association
Anyone interested in volunteering to go online at and click on the red “Volunteer” button. A two- to three-week time commitment will be expected,

Vermont Bar Association
The VBA is creating a list of attorney volunteers willing to assist Vermonters in dealing with tropical storm Irene-related losses.If you are willing to help please contact Tami Baldwin at Indicate in what areas of the law you’d be comfortable volunteering.

VTWarn – Water/Wastewater Agency Response Network
VTWARN is a Water/Wastewater Agency Response Network (WARN) that allows water and wastewater systems in Vermont to receive rapid mutual aid and assistance from other systems in Vermont to restore services damaged by natural or man-made incidents.

Scholarships - Marlboro College provides scholarships for flood-damaged nonprofits
The Marlboro College Graduate School has announced a scholarship program for nonprofit organizations impacted by Tropical Storm Irene

Tags: , , , , , , ,


7 Responses to “Toolkit: Flood Damage Assistance”

  1. Goodnight Irene, Good Morning Vermont Recovery Efforts | Social Grocery

    […] If you are in the Vermont area, there are many efforts to take part in. Local communities are coming together, starting food drives and donation funds for organizations such as The Vermont Foodbank, The American Red Cross of Vermont & The New Hampshire Valley, The VT Irene Flood Relief Fund, and many more. […]

  2. Todd - VT Wine Media

    Thanks so much for the resource list! I’m going to link to this from our site. Stockbridge has become the “end of the line”, and any reliable information we can get is really valuable.

  3. Amy

    A housing resource to add to your list:
    Home Share Now is facilitating short-term and long-term home sharing matches for people displaced by Irene. If the flood has left you homeless, or you have room in your home to share during this time of crisis, please call 802-479-8544. Learn more about home sharing at

  4. CommonGood VT

    Thanks Todd and Amy for your comments! Amy, I’ve added the Homeshare resources to the list, thanks!

    – Nick Carter, Common Good Vermont

  5. News: Marlboro College provides scholarships for flood-damaged nonprofits :: Common Good Vermont Blog

    […] Comments CommonGood VT on Toolkit: Flood Damage AssistanceAmy on Toolkit: Flood Damage AssistanceTodd – VT Wine Media on Toolkit: Flood Damage AssistanceFall […]

  6. News: BCBS of Vermont donates to flood relief efforts :: Common Good Vermont Blog

    […] Marlboro College provides scholarships for flood-damaged nonprofits :: Common Good Vermont Blog on Toolkit: Flood Damage AssistanceCommonGood VT on Toolkit: Flood Damage AssistanceAmy on Toolkit: Flood Damage AssistanceTodd – VT […]

Comments are closed.