This listing was originally posted in Philanthropy Journal online here. Our thanks to Philanthropy Journal and a reminder to contact Coordinator@Commongoodvt.org with job postings, RFP’s, grant announcements, and other news items for the Vermont nonprofit community. You can also find us on twitter @Commongoodvt or on our newly-revamped facebook page here. Stay tuned!
US Green Building Council Massachusetts Chapter
Field of Interest
The US Green Building Council Massachusetts Chapter (Chapter) is seeking a mission-focused and strategic leader to join the organization as Executive Director. Reporting to the Board of Directors (the “Board”), the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Chapter business and the implementation of its mission.
The Executive Director reports to the Board and is responsible for carrying out the Chapter mission and strategy by managing and being generally responsible for:
- Supporting the Chapter in its continuous growth as the most recognized green building organization in Massachusetts.
- Supporting and facilitating Board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing and future programs, as well as in fulfilling its responsibilities.
- Working with the Board in Setting Chapter strategic goals; implementing strategies to achieve these goals; setting objectives by which progress toward the goals will be measured and forecasting budget needs to meet the goals.
- Developing and implementing long-term and annual fundraising strategies.
- Acting as the public face of the Chapter and liaison with USGBC National and other chapters.
- Forming strategic partnerships with other complimentary organizations in Massachusetts in support of the Chapter’s mission.
- Ensuring that the Chapter serves its members’ needs and interests and works to increase membership and member participation on committees and in Chapter programs, in alignment with the volunteer committees’ responsibilities.
- Preparing financially sound budgets in conjunction with the Treasurer and Finance Committee.
- Working with the Education and Advocacy Committees to develop and implement their annual education plans and to fulfill the Chapter’s obligations to USGBC National. The Executive Director role will modify and replace the current Operations Manager role. The Chapter foresees hiring additional interns and staff over the next few years in support of administrative and managerial work of the Chapter provided future fundraising supports the budget growth that is required to hire additional positions.
The Executive Director is responsible for carrying out the Chapter business, managing day-to-day Chapter operations, as well as assisting the Board in fulfilling its responsibility. The Executive Director is responsible for administrative and managerial responsibilities, as well as membership support services and connection to USGBC consistent with the USGBC Massachusetts Chapter’s vision, mission, and strategic plan. These managerial responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining and safeguarding Chapter records, including membership, tax/organizational/membership fillings; donations, and Chapter Bylaws, operating rules and guidelines.
- Maintaining insurance policies to cover Chapter risks and liabilities.
- Keeping the Chapter connected to USGBC National and the Upper Northeast Region by serving as point of contact for USGBC and other chapters.
- Participating in chapter administrator and executive director conference calls.
- Overseeing execution of major Chapter events.
The Chapter seeks candidates with proven leadership, management experience and commitment to the Chapter mission and growth. Valued qualifications include:
- Significant fundraising experience, preferably in Massachusetts, with foundations and corporate partners including identifying, cultivating and securing grants.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams of staff and volunteers, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- At least 3 years of management experience; track record of effectively leading an organization and/or staff, preferably in the nonprofit sector.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to actively engage and energize volunteers, committees, partnering organizations, and sponsors.
- Passion, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Experience in working with a Board of Directors or similar executive level committee is an asset.
Position Classification: Full time
Compensation: Based upon Qualifications
Candidates may submit their cover letter, resume and any supporting documents before July 20th 2012 at: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
About USGBC MA Chapter
The mission of the Chapter is to promote the design, construction, and operation of sustainable buildings and communities in Massachusetts through education, mutual support, and advocacy, enabling an environmentally and socially responsible, healthy and prosperous environment that improves the quality of life. The USGBC MA Chapter provides engaging and transformative education, networking, advocacy and leadership opportunities for the sustainable building community and beyond. Our events and programming are supported by the volunteer efforts of our community members. We encourage participation from the green building industry and beyond in helping us achieve our mission. Since its inception in 2009, the Chapter has established strong ties with the Massachusetts green building community.
One of the goals of the Chapter is to be inclusive of the entire state, and to reach out to the world of design, construction, and development to engage as many as possible who share our passion for sustainability.
The Chapter has evolved into an active volunteer based organization with multiple Branches and Committees. More details on the Chapter structure and activities at www.usgbcma.org