Thanks to Diane Hayes of Vermont Law School for sharing this job opportunity.
Job Title: Director of Development and Alumni Relations
Reports to: Executive Director for Institutional Advancement
The director of development and alumni relations is responsible for oversight of the annual giving and alumni relations programs; manages a small team of development professionals focused on operations, prospect management, and relationship development; and carries a portfolio of 50-75 major gift prospects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides direction and sets priorities / goals for the annual fund, alumni engagement, and advancement operations staff.
- Staffs the VLS Alumni Association board. Duties include working closely with the VLSAA president in creating strategies and timelines for AA special projects, and staffing (3) annual board meetings.
- Staffs all (6) alumni association regional groups with a focus on creating engagement strategies that produce comprehensive, content rich programming nationwide.
- As alumni relations director, provide strategic direction to the alumni relations coordinator in the planning of reunion weekend.
- Oversee the advancement operations team in the:
- Creation and management of all alumni communications including [working closely with the communications office on] the alumni magazine, e-appeals, newsletters, print, web, and social media.
- Implementation of the prospect proposal tracking system
- Prospect research and moves management functions
- Management of VLS Connect – online alumni network
- Gift processing and database management
- Oversee the annual giving program. Work closely with the assistant director to create strategies for engagement across all delivery platforms with a strong focus on programmatic growth of the Leaders Circle.
- Manage a pool of 50-75 major gift prospects capable of making a five figure+ capital gift. Conduct 50 personal visits on an annual basis moving prospects through the philanthropic cycle from assessment to stewardship.
Essential skills and knowledge:
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods, best practices, and procedures for managing philanthropic fundraising campaigns, leadership giving cycles, and volunteer management.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and managerial skills.
- Proven ability to work well within a team environment.
- Willingness to try new approaches and embrace an entrepreneurial advancement program.
Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Five years of experience in development, alumni affairs, or business development, with a focus on relationship management and fundraising campaigns.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
For more information and to apply for this position, please visit http://www.vermontlaw.edu/